Friday, June 11, 2010

At orientation I was able to work out the classes I will be taking this semester. I only have 10 courses approved for transfer credit for tech, so between those courses, time conflicts, and availability it was a great relief I was able to take four of the classes on the list. These classes are Thai Studies, Fluid Dynamics, Hydraulics, Engineering Statics, and Computational Methods for Civil Engineering. Though I do not have approval for hydraulics, I need the class to take hydrology next semester, which is one of the classes I have approval for. Unfortunately I still cannot take calculus 3, so I will have to wait for next semester. Since I took my math classes out of order, calc 3 is the only one I have left but is easier than the last math class I took (since it was a higher level class). In Thailand, classes only meet once a week for three hours...for the most part. Four of my classes are like this, but Statics meets twice a week for 1.5 hours. Because of this type of scheduling, I will have a much nicer schedule than I did last semester:

Monday: 9:00-12:00
Tuesday 10:40-12:00
Wednesday 9:00-10:20, 1:00-4:00
Thursday 9:00-12:00, 1:00-4:00

Classes here run Monday through Saturday, but since I can only take five classes I only have to go to class four days a week. Last semester I was taking 7 classes and two labs, so at least this semester will be a bit easier. However, this means that I will not graduate early with my degree as was planned...I will have to stay in school for the entire 4 years. It also means that I will have more time to enjoy studying abroad :)

One more thing, totally unrelated to the previous paragraphs, is worth mentioning. I did not know this before coming here, but Lay's potato chips does not offer the same flavors here as they do in the states. For instance, four I remember off the top of my head are Nori Seaweed, Chili Shrimp, Spicy Squid, Mixed Seafood, and Grilled Chicken. I tried the seaweed flavor, it wasn't bad! However I think I will leave the other flavors at the store for other people to buy. Also, there is a really tasty beverage here that (as far as I know) is not offered in America. I cannot read the package, but the picture looks like it is honey flavored soymilk. It is absolutely delicious! I have about 20 in my fridge (individual size). It is good to finally have a reliable source of protein!

1 comment:

  1. I know I don't comment on all your posts but I wanted to let you know that i read them all and they are all so exciting! Keep it up! What a cool adventure....

    ReplyDelete